Many people might feel it is easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise the efforts of others while offering no solution yourself. We are saying this proposed constitution is the wrong direction for the party. We are saying it has been created without membership consultation or engagement. It is a decree from above of how the leadership of the party plan to centralize the party and all its decision making. Do we offer however,an alternative solution?
An Alternative Solution
- The party leadership agrees to withdraw the proposed constitution,
- As a result of the withdrawal, all current elements of the Constitution remain in force,
- Under Section 28, Subsection 1 of the current Constitution, the Council of Presidents has the authority to create Committees. The Party provides sufficient resources to the Council of Presidents to create two (2) committees, one(1) for Constitution, and one(1) for By-laws & Governance,
- Each committee would be comprised of;
- the leadership of the Council,
- one(1) EDA President from each province or territory,
- two(2) representatives from the National Board,
- one(1) representative from each Commission.
- The Committees would be provided a period not to exceed 12 months to create a Constitution, Bylaws and Governance structure which all levels of the party embrace and agree upon,
- A national electronic conference is called, delegates proceed to local locations where local meetings are connected by technology to create a national conference. Since the documents have been created by and with the full input of all levels of the party, acceptance should be high. After passage, all levels know where they, and the party stand going forward towards our election planning in 2018 and victory as a united party in 2019.